Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Weekend in Reykjavik

On Friday evening we flew out on what turned out to be a ride with a bumpy take off - blech. I am beginning to wonder if they are always going to be like that. Other then that it was uneventful and Zelia slept for the short trip. We took a cab to Edda's house and made ourselves some dinner. She was out at a graduation party and left us a full fridge - amazing. After dinner we got Zelia ready for bed and in her stroller for a walk on Laugarvegur (the main shopping street). It was pretty empty we thought for a Friday night but as we got further down the street it began to liven up. After a while I felt hungry so we stopped at a little short order place for a burger. While we were sitting in there there was an earthquake. At first I thought Jacob was bouncing his leg, but no, it was all over the news the next day. As we walked out Jacob decided he needed to eat as well and we waked around the corner and saw a falafel place! As we were walking by a woman came out and said, Andrea, Jacob. It was Helga who had been a teacher for the program in Arpil. Inside were her friends and brother and we ended up having a long conversation with them while Zelia slept outside. We returned to he house around 11 in the full day light.

By the way, there is no darkness anymore. The sun is at its lowest point around 1:30 but never sets, just bounces off the horizon!

The next morning we ate some breakfast and headed out to the bus to go to the petting zoo. It is a huge public park with the zoo, botanical garden, sports arena and amusement park - very, very nice. We finally found the right entrance and began walking around waiting for Katri and Pyry. Zelia liked looking at the seals, rabbits and chickens but otherwise was unmoved by the lambs and goats and all their babies. OMG, baby goats are the cutest things ever!!!!! Zelia was more interested in all the people around. After a train ride and some lunch we decided to head out. It was not a very nice morning, a bit drizzly but the place was getting VERY crowded. By the time we got to the main entrance there was a line down the walkway to get in!

The rest of the day we spent walking around town, going to the flee market, getting really hungry and having another ok burger and then headed home to relax. That evening we had a nice dinner with Edda before she went out for a concert.

Sunday we woke and walked to Katri and Jukka to get the car and then headed for brunch before beginning our drive home. When we got the car we also got all of Jukka's camping gear and decided that instead of staying at a hotel on the way home we would camp. Expecting to go to the market we all of a sudden realized that it was the Pentecost and everything was closed! Edda basically packed up her kitchen for us so that we would have food. Her hospitality is incredible! As it turns out the gas station was open and we got a few supplies there. The drive was beautiful along the southern part of the Westfjords and Zelia was great. The roads were not easy, lots of pot holes and sections weren't paved, but the views are hard to describe especially when we would cimb a pass and look out over the fjords from above. We passed through lava fields, brush and wild flowers, lakes up in the mountains and areas that looked like the moon. I am sad to say we have no pictures to share as we just kept driving.

Eventually we stopped in an area with two waterfalls for water and set up camp. We had bought monk fish at the flee market (fish market inside) and had some great food that we bought in an amazing Thai grocery in town. There is a pretty large Thai community here. So for dinner we had monkfish and bean curd noodles (I call them slimy noodles) and we had a snickers bar for dessert, perfect. We headed to bed and found ourselves lying awake in the light and listening as cars just kept driving by - until 2:30am!!!!! We were also a bit cold as we were unprepared for camping, oh well.

Jacob woke at 4am and eventually woke us as well (not to worry it was almost 8 I think). We had eggs and potatoes and packed up to head home. About 20 minutes into the drive we saw a hotel so we stopped for some coffee and to figure out our options for the trip we will take with Dennis and Marie in a few weeks. The next mountain pass was spectacular and LOOOOOONG and we saw the river that becomes Dynjandi waterfall where we went in the fall with Terri. When we got home we showered, ate and all fell into bed for a nice family nap.