Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Was I under the impression that it was over?

Hanging out eating snow.

Main road into town, cleared...well yesterday anyway.
That's the driveway of that house!

Can you see the road continue after the drift? hard to get depth in all that white, but that drift is at least 5 feet high.

On Friday that snow was up to the porch

This is the street in front of us....impassible!

Apparently this was just a lull...I wrapped Lazer and walked into town with the mail. It was beautiful, snow was falling without any wind, everything was white. By the time we got to the post office, both Lazer and I had bright red lovely cheeks. There was time until pick-up so we walked to NES to say hello and chatted and walked some more with Olafia. Then I went in to get Zelia. Sesi was already getting her ready and as usual these days she did not want to go. We got outside and the beautiful snow called to Zelia to roll and eat. So we walked slowly home with the stroller. A little less than half way there the wind started to pick up and Zelia went inside the stroller....5 minutes later the wind was gusting and I turned my head into it...a few minutes later it was becoming a more constant wind and it was hard to see, I kept being thankful when I got in front of a house. By the time I got to the corner the wind was driving and I was HOPING Jacob would see me from his office window. When I turned the corner we were walking straight into the wind. The kids were both fine, Zelia in the stroller covered by the plastic and Lazer on me all bundled and sleeping. It was my face that was hurting. I was pushing the stroller on several inches of snow, into the wind taking very small steps, but we made it. I was exhausted.

The wind outside was howling and before long I got a chat from Jacob saying no gym today. what???? I have been dying to go. why??? he wrote Bjarni just left, Halldor is bringing me home. The wind in Skagastrond was blowing at 31meters/second, about 70 mi/hr! This continued that hard until the night and hasn't stopped yet...although I don't think it is as hard. Jacob moved the car to the field where it wouldn't get snowed in.

When Jacob woke this morning he walked to the car and came back to report that there was a 20 ft high snow drift in the road....he couldn't get Zelia to leikskoli. He walked to work and Zelia slept in until 8:15. We hung out in bed together for about an hour playing and talking. When we finally got up I had a new chat from Jacob...does Zelia want to go to leikskoli???? silly, of course she does, get her ready! I bundled her up in.....underwear, undershirt, pants, turtleneck, fleece sweatshirt, cotton socks and wool socks, her one piece red snow suit, snow boots, balaklava, 66north hat, mittens and goggles. Jacob took her in his arms bundled in a blanket and walked down the street to the work truck.

It was a successful drop off, although Jacob said our car would not have made it through the snow. We are guessing that the plow is not coming to our street today so I am stuck! When Jacob goes to get Zelia he will go to the market and fill us up with food.

In 1995 this weather continued for 6 weeks, on and off....the rescue team will bring food if you run out and of course bring you home if you are stuck or need medical attention. There was a woman in 1995 out in the country who was in labor, they picked her up in a snow cat and were trying to get her to Blonduos where they used to deliver....but before the bridge they realized they weren't going to make it, so into the nearest farm they went and delivered a healthy baby:) Love stories like that!


NaliniC said...

Wow this is so remarkable - what an adventure!! I thought 14 in of snow was huge! Love, N